Saturday, March 21, 2020

My Editing Options


     As I've continued to edit my opening, it's getting hard to try and cut down my opening to 2 minutes.  25 seconds cut out of a conversation is a lot, so at this point I'm considering different options.  I could stay with strictly the conversation, and just choose a different start/end point to the conversation, maybe ending it a lot sooner in.  Another option is to put back in all of the shots of Jackie walking through Miami, and then have her walk into the office and her and David have a mini conversation.  I feel like this might be more interesting, since it has all of the outdoor shots and the conversation, instead of only office shots.  If I do this I would again just have to decide at what point to stop the conversation.  This may make for a more abrupt ending to the opening, so that could be tricky. 
     The thing is, all of my shots were filmed in Miami and in my dad's office, which is now closed because of COVID-19.  So, I basically have to find a way to work with what I have right now, unless I want to reshoot the whole thing.  I'm leaning towards trying to have shots of Jackie outside and then a shortened version of her conversation with David, but I'm just worried that it won't flow well this way. I'm playing around with different versions of the opening now, and trying to see what I like. 
     Also, I showed my parents what the 2:25 minute conversation looked like earlier, and they were very proud of their acting skills and how it worked out, even though neither of their acting skills were actually good (shh don't tell them).
     UPDATE: This is me coming back to you guys a bit later in the day; I played around with editing a bit and I think I have my solution.  I put back in most of the Jackie walking clips, and then used just some of the clips from her conversation with David to make a 2 minute scene.  I think the conversation still sounds cohesive, and even though the end isn't as dramatic as it would've been originally, I think it still works well!! I'm going to keep on editing to make everything cleaner of course, but I definitely like how it's coming together; at this point its 1:53 minutes long, so I should be good on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment