Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Plot Change/ Title


     I decided to alter the plot of my film.  I still want the opening to be the mom going to the dad’s office to talk about their son, but instead of them choosing to send the son to boarding school, I decided to have the son be charged with crime.  Because of the increasing issue with school shootings and threats, the boy’s punishments would realistically be outside of school hands. We know this from experience, since in December a student at our own school was charged for making false threats and ended up in court cases on two different charges.  
     I felt like following the son through his court case would be more interesting than seeing his life in boarding school, as well as more realistic and topical.  This also means that the parents would be more actively involved, so it can focus on how the case is affecting the son, the parents, and also their overall family relationship.  
     For my opening, this doesn’t change much.  Instead of having the scene end with the mom saying they need to send Aiden to boarding school, it ends with her saying that David can’t pay off the school this time, and that the boy is already down at the station.  
     I also took the time to develop a title for my film.  I thought it would be cool to have the court case name be the title of the film, which would end up being “Harker v. Westwood”.  I looked up private schools in Miami, since that is where the family lives, and Westwood Christian School was ranked super high. Since Aiden makes threats to the school, the case would essentially be between him and the school.  I think having the court name as the title is cool because by just reading it, it sounds like someone’s name and the viewer might not realize what the title means, but as the film progresses, the title will become clear. 
     I’m developing the script for the opening now, so my next post will be the script!

Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment