Friday, March 13, 2020

Target Audience and Distribution


     I've already done a little bit of research on target audiences, but I wanted to review a bit before I continue on.  Because dramas typically contain emotional themes and mature content, a majority of dramas are rated PG13 or R.  Although family dramas are geared towards a youth audience, most other genres choose a young adult to adult audience.  Since a lot of dramas focus on topical issues and events, adult audiences work well as they are the ones most involved in societal issues and the most informed.  My film involves very relevant social issues, but also has high school age students in it in addition to the adults. Because of this, my film fits in with the average audience of young and middle aged adults. 
     As for distribution, I started researching small independent film companies.   I found a few companies, such as Filmrise, Gravitas, and Kino Lorber, which all do digital releases.  Companies like these would be perfect for my film release, since they are small companies that don't release that many films annually, and work primarily in the US.  I want a company that prioritizes digital release over theatrical, because even though adults do still visit movie theaters, young and middle aged adults also make large use of streaming and digital services.  To keep up with changing times, digital releases ensure that my film is a part of the evolving digital age.  A lot of these small companies are also involved in film festivals, giving me opportunity to eventually have my film viewed in a festival such as Sundance.  I'll officially pick a company later on, but for now I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for.
 

Sources:
https://www.sundance.org/blogs/creative-distribution-initiative/2019-what-distributors-want-in-a-film
https://www.slideshare.net/ebonypeart/target-audience-16706479

No comments:

Post a Comment